Monday, June 20, 2011

Dark Nights and Fanged Teeth

It comes in the night
The past with its fanged teeth
It comes in my dreams
Not the same as I saw them
But in different contexts
Myriads of people and forms
Collage of this and that
Little from here
And a little from there

It comes in my dreams
The past with its fanged teeth
The ten year old boy with a smile
He tells me those buried secrets
They tumble out and lay there
Thumping their feet down
Demanding to look at them

Turning the face, I go back
Closing my eyes, I run
I can escape, I tell myself
But they lay behind me
Taking monstrous shapes
Chasing me till the end

I know I have to face them
Not today, but a day will come
A day from a distant horizon
With its scent of hope
And colour of rage in its periphery
Painted with streaks of love
It would be the day of closure
And a beautiful beginning of new life
Till then, I run

(This is my first attempt to write a poem. Christina, my dearest Akka (Hannah), Sridevi and Aniruddh are the ones who inspired me to pen down some of my thoughts as a poem. And to all of you, pardon me if it is sloppy or reads immature. You know I am bad at poems :))

2 comments:

Some of us speak in cliches. Some of us love. said...

Deepan, cheers!Lovely. Big hugs. May there be many more to come!

Ravi said...

Deepan, your words ring so true to what I have felt often. Beautiful piece;do write more!